As a small Australian business, we take our social, legal, environmental and ethical responsibilities seriously.
BENCHMARK PRODUCT CERTIFICATION (BSI)
The Benchmark Mark is a registered certification mark owned and operated by BSI. It is one of the most recognised symbols of quality and safety and offers true value to consumers, businesses and procurement practices. Product certification is the process of certifying that a product has passed performance tests and quality assurance tests in order to meet the necessary local, national or international quality standards relevant to a particular market or product set.
Our Australian certifiers travel to our factories annually to conduct audits to ensure footwear is manufactured under strict standards compliance, and products and machinery are tested to internationally recognised standards. Our safety footwear is certified to AS/NZ 2210.3:2009 (safety footwear) and our work footwear is certified to AS 2210.5:2019 (occupational footwear). Some of our footwear is also tested to American and European standards (as specified).
BUSINESS SOCIAL COMPLIANCE INITIATIVE (BSCI)
The Business Social Compliance Initiative (conducted by AMFORI) is a leading supply chain management system that supports companies to drive social compliance and improvements within the factories in their global supply chains. AMFORI’s mission is “trade with purpose” ~ a world where all trade delivers social, environmental and economic benefits for everyone.
She wear engages suppliers and manufacturers who operate under acceptable human rights conditions and protect workers’ human rights. To monitor this, our suppliers are subject to the independent BSCI audit on an annual basis. This audit covers areas such as : environment, working conditions, working hours, child labour, forced labour, discrimination/harrassment and abuse, management practise, health and social facilities, occupational health and safety.
She wear will not accept, under any circumstances, any of the following practices from the suppliers we deal with : child labour, unsafe working conditions, illegal conduct, corruption, excessive work hours, discrimination, forced labour of any kind, inhumane treatment.
GOLD RATED TANNERIES (LWG)
Our leather is sourced from tanneries who have received gold rating status from the Leather Working Group (LWG). The objective of this multi-stakeholder group is to develop and maintain a protocol that assesses the environmental compliance and performance capabilities of leather manufacturers and promotes sustainable and appropriate environmental business practices within the leather industry. The group seeks to improve the leather manufacturing industry by creating alignment on environmental priorities, bringing visibility to best practices and providing suggested guidelines for continual improvement.
When a tannery is audited according to the Leather Working Group (LWG) protocol, they check the tannery’s management of chemical, energy and water use, waste and effluent treatment, as well as air and noise emissions. This is a thorough check of the environmental impact of the tanning process.
We only use gold-rated tanneries that have the highest rating by LWG. This means they have scored higher than 85 in the LWG audit on a scale from 0 to 100. For us this is a guarantee that the tannery has a comprehensive management system to reduce their environmental impact. Or to put it in a simple way, it means that the tanneries we work with are using less energy, less water, less and better chemicals, as well as taking care of waste and effluent in a responsible way.
ECOCERT (ORGANIC BAMBOO)
Our bamboo products are manufactured with organic bamboo, and the bamboo is certified by EcoCert. EcoCert is an organic certification and inspection body established in France in 1991. With activity in over 80 countries, it has become one of the largest organic certification organizations in the world and one of the best known labels in the field of standardization.
To ensure an environmentally friendly product, the EcoCert standard lays down that the ingredients are derived from renewable resources and manufactured by using environmentally friendly processes. They strive to enable production processes that respect the environment, better management of available energy and of natural resources (water, air, soil fertility), socially responsible sectors, and better product quality and safety. All of these elements are essential to address today’s economic, social and environmental challenges in order to build tomorrow’s world.
OEKO-TEX BAMBOO (SOCKS)
We manufacture our bamboo socks with OEKO-TEX® certified bamboo. The STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® is a worldwide consistent, independent testing and certification system for raw, semi-finished, and finished textile products at all processing levels.
This standard ensures that products are free from dangerous substances – chemicals like pesticides, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and undesirable surfactants. The certification is designed to ensure the effect the dyeing industry has on the environment is minimised and the garments are safe for consumers as well as the people who make and sell them.
To obtain a OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certification, the textile needs to be free from more than 100 substances known to be harmful to human health. The standard takes into account the following:
- Legal regulations, such as banned AZO colourants, formaldehyde, pentachlorophenol, cadmium, nickel etc
- Other harmful chemicals that are not yet legally regulated
- Requirements of Annexes XVII and XIV of the European Chemicals Regulation REACH as well as the ECHA SVHC Candidate List
- Requirements from the US Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) regarding lead.
- Numerous environmentally relevant substance classes
OUR HQ PRACTICES
At our she wear HQ and warehouse, we try to do our bit for the environment!
- We do not include paper invoices with orders, but instead we email you all your information or you can check your customer account.
- We don’t provide swing tags on any she wear manufactured products (only labelling as per Australian government requirements).
- Our boot boxes are our shipping boxes and can be re-used! We have designed our boot boxes to be a thicker quality cardboard and therefore, satchels or additional wrapping are not required. We have recently switched to recycled rope handles and plastic handles will be phased out.
- For items in other style boxes or workwear, we predominantly use 100% recycled satchels. These satchels can be re-used for returns to save further packaging.
- We re-use boxes, wrap and plastic we receive from other suppliers, so if you receive 2nd hand looking packing materials .. that’s why!
- We have recently switched to a paperless dispatch system to save printing paper.
- We are always on the look out for ways to improve our environmental impact at she wear HQ.